Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Shopping

Some people are great shoppers- I swear they have special powers to find good deals, a keen ability to know what looks good together, and an uncanny knack at being able to pick out the perfect gift. As you can gather- I am not one of these people (another talent I shouldn't covet but do- you can add that to my list of being able to sing, paint, and play the piano). My gift giving is plagued with my thinking that the gift should be something they can use- something practical. I am learning that practical is not always welcomed because it is not always very fun. I am serious when I say gift giving is hard for me because I want it to be something they will like, something that is practical but fun, something that is meaningful to them- whoo... I am getting stressed out just thinking about it. 

I rarely, if ever, go shopping just to look (that could be why I don't find good deals). I go when I need/want something and I have money- these two criteria don't happen together very often. I also don't like to spend loads of time looking around- I am in for what I need and I am out again. 
But I am happy to say that it is December 2nd and I am almost done with my Christmas shopping (except stocking stuff). Jed and I split up buying presents for the girls- I picked out Kaley's Christmas gift and Jed is picking out Anna's. Then Jed gets to pick out Kaley's birthday gift (her birthday is Jan. 7th) and I am picking out Anna's birthday gift (her birthday is in Feb.) This works for us because Jed and I are polar opposites in our shopping techniques. Jed loves to look at stuff and he can look for a long time- finding that great fun gift. 

Amongst all this shopping talk- 
I just want to give a little shout out to my frequented stores-
*Aldi (this is a grocery store which is the the kind of shopping I do regularly)
*Trader Joe's (also a grocery store but it has a lot of cool exotic type items like dragon fruit and pumpkin butter)
*Ikea
*Target
*Thrift Stores- Value Village and Unique Thrift
*Online shopping at Amazon.com

Anyways- amongst all the Christmas shopping and stores and stuff- I hope I can really feel the true reason of Christmas- which is Jesus Christ. I hope and pray I can feel the love He has for others and to be kind to those around me. Maybe that is the gift I should give Kaley for Christmas- a nice and uncranky mommy. 

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas Season 
and good luck in your gift giving.




4 comments:

Jared and Andrea said...

I feel you Janelle! I love amazon.com. I keep a wish list on there and save items I find in there until I'm ready to purchase them for friends and family (sometimes for myself). My trick to shopping is if I see something on the rare occassion I'm just out looking, I buy it and hold on to it until it's time to give out. I've had my mother-in-law's Christmas present since August. I learned this trick from my mother-in-law. She has what I would call a store in her closet. She picks up items she hears us refer to throughout the year and hides them away until gift giving time (Christmas, birthdays, etc). Once I got a DVD I already had and she said let's exchange it. I figured she meant to give me a receipt to take it back to the store and get a new one. Nope, we went to her room and she brought out a selection of 4 or 5 DVD's for me to choose from! Maybe one day I'll be that organized:)

Elena said...

You are my shopping kindred spirit! I just don't enjoy it. And I am all about just buying what I want when I want it. No deal looking for me. And you're right, I think it trully is a talent other's have. I've done 80% of my Christmas shopping this year online and it's been wonderful. And you are brave to let Jed pick out gifts, I have to have full control in that department. Although I'm sure Jarom would do great, but not sure enought that I'd give control to him. :)

valumama said...

way to say it! I love to think of ideas to give, but hate to shop! well done for being mostly done!

Joy said...

I am like Jed, I'll admit. I like to browse and browse and then once I'm positive I've found exactly what I'd envisioned in my head...I'll finally purchase. I don't think I'm very good at finding good deals though which is ironic considering how much I do browse.

Anyway, I love the family picture! Kaley's sideways glance made me smile.