Monday, January 12, 2009

Randomness

Just a few scattered and random thoughts I wanted to throw out into the blog world.

1. M&M Mars made the Snickers bar in 1929. They named the candy bar after a racehorse the Mars family owned. Also In 1896, Leo Hirshfield of New York made the Tootsie Roll and named them after his daughter's nickname, Tootsie. 

Information found in How Sweet It Is (and Was): The History of Candy by Ruth Freeman Swain.

2. My friend was blogging about how the definition of exciting has changed for her since she has become a parent and how some things are good exciting and how some things are bad exciting. On the way home from church I was thinking about it because I think the definition of fun has changed for me since becoming a parent. Sure going out to the movies is still fun but I am finding my definition has broadened. For instance, Kaley just started going to Primary at church and yesterday they called her up to sing her happy birthday. It was so fun to see her walk up there and stand in front of everyone and be excited because everyone was singing to her. I sat in the back and was just smiling away. I was having a good time. It is exciting to watch her change and grow and experience good things. It was fun! 
I can image what it must be like for my own mom to see her little girl grow up and start taking care of her own children- I could image that that is fun.

3. My sister and I started a puzzle while she was here but were unable to finish before she left. Shelley, I just want you to know Jed and I made some serious advancements. I will post a picture when it is finished.

4. The series finale of Stargate Atlantis was on Friday. A moment of silence please. 

5. I am trying to get more food storage savvy. I want to be able to do the whole rotate what you eat but I also want to know how to live off just our food storage if we had to. I have been stuck finding recipes that just call for canned items. My cooking skills aren't quite to the level of just being able to substitute where needed but I am working on it. I love the website Safely Gathered In because she posts recipes that call just for food storage items. Anyways- I have tried a few of her recipes and I am liking it. She has done all the leg work and posts pictures with her recipes. Awesome. 


5 comments:

valumama said...

Janelle, I just want to say, I love your trains of thought (except, I never got that into stargate... sorry)
but I especially relate to #'s 2 and 5. (oh, and of course, did you just mention a snickers bar, who could not love that bit of trivia?)
thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about Kaley being a Sunbeam, I am just in awe that Calvin will be in Primary next year (and doing talks, scripture...) it is a whole new world. Kids open your eyes to new experiences.

By the way- I LOVE your princess cake you made for Kaley- I wanted one of those so bad...even when I was 14! Is that normal? Probably not.

Also- can you email me your address? I still have your Christmas card to mail off. Cheers!

Bethany said...

Well, well, well. I have just perused the entire contents of your blog and I have to say how delighted I am to have found you again. You are so cute. Seriously, I look at your and your little family and I just have all these cute little fuzzy balls rolling around inside of me.
I have gathered that you're in Maryland-and that you're taking classes. Pursuing another degree or just generally enriching yourself?
How did you manage to have 2 kids, one of whom is apparently 4, since we have last talked? How did this thing happen?
Also, if you could do a post about Jed, I'd love it because we don't know your fella. I mean, I now know a bit more about his cake vs pie preferences, but other stuff-I have no idea! :)
I have now connected myself to your blog, so I'll be back....

beware...

beware...! :)

Love, Bethany the Weed

Elena said...

I love random thoughts! And thanks for the food storage site. I have GOT to get better about that. (Sorry about Star Gate, but Lost is about to begin!! Do you watch that one?)

Elena said...

Oh and btw, I LOVE reading your "getting to know" questions and thoughts. So fun.