Sunday, June 6, 2010

Our Spring Adventures

Kaley participated in a children's choir called Cache Valley Children's Choir. She was in the youngest group and they would meet every Monday for choir practice. They would spend time learning the concert songs and emphasize a musical concept such as woodwinds, beat, phrases, breathing, etc. Her concert was in May and my mom, sister, and Jed's mom all came down for it.

This little boy was standing next to Kaley in the concert and kept stomping throughout when they weren't supposed to. Kaley kept looking at him and rolling her eyes, and folding her arms. I sat there and giggled about her clear disgust for his lack of following directions.

Here is Anna singing while we are waiting for the concert to start.She has done the air-mic thing for a long time and it still cracks me up when she does it.


Anna and Shelley also got new bikes while they were visiting. I had been looking for a tricycle for Anna but the Walmart version was either Princess, Dora, or Diego. I wanted to get a somewhat gender neutral one that would last for awhile, that way if we ever have a boy he could use it also. She loves riding it (unfortunately it is usually out into the street but we are working on staying in the driveway).

My mom's trip included shopping for clothes. Kaley got a new bathing suit and dresses. Here she is in her bathing suit. Kaley started taking swim lessons this past week at Mountaincrest High School. The high school students are the teachers and Kaley was happy she got a girl. It is twice a week during the month of June.

While my Mom was here it was also Mother's Day. Here we are after church sitting in our tree- trying desperately to get a cute picture of all of us but it was after 4:00 pm and we were feeling the after church hunger and fatigue. This was the best we could do. I look like I am in pain but my mom is cute like usual.

This is one of my favorite pictures my mom had on her camera. Sidenote: We get most of our pictures from the ones other people take. I am lazy to get out our broken camera and try to hold it so the batteries don't fall out.


Our other major Springtime undertaking is getting our garden and fruit trees in. Here we are watching Jed dump compost into the garden section. Our Saturdays are filled with yard activities- watering, weeding, mowing, and tilling. Almost every night we walk out and see what is happening- we have peas, corn, beets, dill, cilantro, basil, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries, sunflowers, and raspberries all with visible plants. We also have cantaloupe, pumpkins, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers, rosemary, parsley, sage, thyme, and onions all planted. I think we bought almost one of everything when we went to pick out seeds. This is our first garden so there is much for us to learn but we are having fun.
We also put in several fruit trees- peach, a variety of pears, two different kinds of apple, and plum. We wanted to be sure to put them in this year since they will take a long time to start producing. We also planted a maple tree that will eventually be for shade.

On a sad note and for those who I stay in touch with only through blogs: I also had a miscarriage in April. I was about 10 weeks along when I found out at my first doctor's visit. I was sad and disappointed but I find comfort in knowing it is very common. When I told people, most women explained to me they have had at least one, sometimes more. I was really disappointed because I had been really sick and throwing up for the past month and a half. We are so grateful to have had Jed's mom here to help us during this whole experience. I would never be able to thank her enough for helping me with the girls and chores around the house. I am doing great now and just hope and pray we will be able to have more kids.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Ok, so A. you are SO BRAVE to whup up a HUGE garden on your very first try! I'll be interested to see how you do! :)

And B. I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage, friend. :( I'm glad you're recovering.

Love you! Good to hear from you!

Unknown said...

My first comment was going to be about WOW your huge garden! Good luck and keep us posted on how it grows.

Now my second comment is- thanks for the update on your miscarriage and sorry for the loss. No matter how short, it is still hard to lose a baby. I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks (when we were first married) and it was hard emotionally and physically.

Hang in there! Love your cute family!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Combitos said...

Hello Friends! Thanks for the update.

Your girls are beautiful and getting sooo big! I can't believe it's been that long since we left Florida. It was such a fun adventure.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and will keep your family in our prayers.

Hugs - Combs Family

Sarah said...

Janelle.
Thanks for updating your blog. I like to hear what you guys are up to. And good luck on your garden--there's nothing better than fresh veggies from the garden.

And sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I completely understand having suffered one myself about a year and half ago. You're right...there are more of us out there that have had miscarriages than I ever realized.

Maren Hansen said...

Janelle, so sorry to hear about your loss. I've had a number of miscarriages, and she's right--it's hard no matter how early or how many you have. Glad you're feeling better and here's to fertile thoughts... :)

Unknown said...

C'mon Janelle- what'cha up to?!?! Give us an update! :)